I am extremely picky about tiramisù. Then I spotted this recipe by the Mouthwatering Vegan and I had to give it a go. Glad I did because it is PHENOMENAL.
I modified the recipe as follows, but otherwise followed it exactly:
- 400g (2 packets) of Dove’s Farm Digestive Biscuits or McVitie’s tea biscuits
- used a non-stick, loose-base 20cm cake tin instead of a springform
- made very strong decaf espresso in my Stellar 6 cup stove top espresso maker – this is a MUST – no instant coffee for me
- added Amaretto DiSaronno instead of Cognac because I prefer it and I put some in the coffee too
- really saturated the biscuits with coffee; go just before they might break up
- 1 Tablespoon of arrowroot powder instead of the agar (because that’s what I had, it’s easier to work with and it works just fine) for the “mascarpone” cream (cashewpone, even!) dissolved in just enough hot water to create a runny solution, so use 2 Tablespoons to start and go from there up to no more than 1/2 cup as called for in the original recipe
- a tiny pinch of salt
- omitted cocoa powder topper – I wanted to let the cashewpone flavour shine and I’m glad I did
- store the tiramisu with a plate underneath the cake tin in case it leaks
Here are some photos
Every serious and thoughtful social justice activist should, by default, be vegan. Ben MacEllen, Australian vegan, author, playwright and trans activist.